Art INSIDE the Box
A Curated Exhibit
Art INSIDE the Box EXHIBIT DESCRIPTION:
Brother artists and Sister makers: Are you tired of being told that artists should always “think outside the box”? Then join us in celebrating art that must be made INSIDE a box. A cereal box, shipping container, milk carton, a box of tissues, a cigar or shoe box: all are perfect homes for your inside-the-box inspirations. So are containers of any size or shape or material, as long as the work is created inside (not on the outside) of the container. Works in any medium including video and digital media are welcome. A selection of boxes for your use can be picked up at Belmar Arts during regular gallery hours in the two months before the exhibit.
Don’t like being told how to make your art? As the famous outside-the-box filmmaker Orson Welles (supposedly) said,
“The enemy of art is the absence of limitations.”
REGISTER ONLINE by: Wednesday, September 5 at 11:59pm
EXHIBIT DATES: Wednesday, September 12 to Friday, October 12
ARTWORK DROP OFF: Friday, September 7 from 1-5pm & Saturday, September 8 from 10am-1pm
ARTWORK PICKUP: Friday, October 12 from 1-5pm & Saturday, October 13 from 10am-1pm
OPENING RECEPTION: Saturday, September 15 from 5-7pm
C0-curated by: Dug Smith and Louise Krasniewicz
Contact co-curators at: email@example.com
PINTEREST idea page: Art INSIDE the Box board
Conditions and Instructions:
- Open to all artists, 16 and older, all media.
- All works entered must be original creations by the artist and not previously exhibited at the Belmar Arts.
- A maximum of 2 works may be submitted by each artist.
- This is a CURATED exhibit. All the submitted works will be installed if they meet the guidelines outlined here. We do not send acceptance notices for exhibit that are CURATED so please drop off your work on the dates indicated above.
- To enter, fill out the entry form on this page and submit a clear image for each entry. The image can be a jpeg, png, or tiff. To resize your image, open it in an image processing program and change the dimensions to no larger than 1200 pixels on the largest side. Change the resolution to 72dpi. Make sure the resulting file size is less than 1Mb. (if you do not understand image types or image resizing, read this set of instructions: Image Help).
- Rename your image file BEFORE you upload it to the entry form using this format: yourlastname-title. Do not add any other information to your image name.
- $20 member/$25 nonmember for 1 entry
- $30 member/$35nonmember for 2 entries
Membership may be purchased or renewed at checkout. All show entry fees are non-refundable and payment must be received before your entry is processed.
- Your work must be hand-delivered to the Belmar Arts Center at 608 River Rd, Belmar, NJ 07719. Belmar Arts is not equipped to receive or return parcels sent by mail or delivery service.
- Your two-dimensional works must be wired for hanging: no saw tooth hangers, cleats, string, or tape are permitted
- A 25 lb. maximum weight for work intended to be hung on the walls including hardware and/or armature.
- Three-dimensional work can be freestanding or displayed on a pedestal. You do not need to provide a pedestal unless a special size is needed.
- All three dimensional works are limited to a weight of 60 pounds or less.
Sales and Commission:
Selling your work is optional and subject to commission and terms posted below. If not for sale, please enter NFS on entry form.
Art sold is subject to a 30% commission fee for members and 40% for non-members. If not for sale, use NFS on entry form. Sales tax will be added to the price of work sold. Remittance of NJ Sales Tax will be handled by Belmar Arts. All artists with sales commissions of $600 or more per calendar year are required to furnish their SS# or Tax ID# to Belmar Arts. A 1099-MISC for taxable income will be issued by Belmar Arts for sales commissions of $600 or higher. Commissions are paid at the close of the show and buyers will pick up purchased work after the show is completed. Please elect one artist per entry to receive the commission if work is sold.
Belmar Arts will make every effort to treat your artwork with care. However, work is submitted at the artist’s risk. Belmar Arts and the Art Show Committee will not be held liable for lost or damaged work. Artists are responsible for insuring their work from delivery to pick-up.
Belmar Arts reserves the right to use digital images of exhibited artworks for the sole purpose of promotion of this exhibit and Belmar Arts on social media, websites, and advertising.
Late Pick-up Penalty:
If you cannot pick up your work during the advertised time, you must arrange for someone else to pick it up. Work left beyond two weeks after the advertised pick-up date will be considered abandoned. Abandoned work will become the property of the Belmar Arts and will be sold to benefit Belmar Arts.
Questions: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org