Artwork drop off: Friday, February 16 from 1-5pm & Saturday, February 17 from 1-3pm
Artwork pickup: Friday, March 23 and Saturday, March 24 from 1-5pm
Curated by Louise Krasniewicz
REGISTER ONLINE by: Wednesday, February 14 at 11:59pm
Artists Reception: Saturday, February 24 from 5-7pm
Come in costume as your favorite book character or favorite author!
Curator’s Comments at 6pm: “The joys and regrets of destroying books to make art”
“The Book Art Show” will explore the relationships between the written word, books as physical objects, and the visual arts. Please feel free to interpret this theme loosely as we welcome all interpretations of this idea.
The works for this exhibit could take many forms including paintings, drawings, sculptures, or photographs inspired by a book; works representing scenes from a book; altered and enhanced books; artist’s handmade books; handmade pop-up books; book cover designs; book sculptures; book collages; carved and folded books; comic books; black-out poetry; miniature books; and text-based art.
To see what other artists have done with book art, check out this Pinterest album:
Conditions and Artist Instructions:
- Open to all artists, no age limit
- All works entered must be original creations by the artist and not previously exhibited at the Belmar Arts Center
- A maximum of three pieces may be submitted by each artist.
- This is a curated show. All the submitted works will be installed if they meet the guidelines outlined here. We do not send acceptance notices for shows that are not juried so please drop off your work on February 16 or 17.
- To enter, fill out the entry form on this page and submit a clear image of each entry that is less than 1Mb in size.
- Rename your image file BEFORE you upload it to the entry form: yourlastname-title
- Entry fees:
$20 member/$25 nonmember for 1 entry
$30 member/$35nonmember for 2 entries
$40 member/$45 nonmember for 3 entries
Membership may be purchased or renewed at checkout. All show entry fees are non-refundable and payment must be received before your entry is processed.
- Selling your work is optional and subject to commission and terms posted below. If not for sale, please enter NFS on entry form.
- Work must be hand-delivered to the Belmar Arts. Belmar Arts is not equipped to receive or return parcels sent by mail or delivery service.
- Two-dimensional works must be wired for hanging: no saw tooth hangers, cleats, string, or tape are permitted.
- A 25 lb. maximum weight for work intended to be hung on the walls including hardware and/or armature.
- Three-dimensional work can be freestanding or displayed on pedestals. Artist does not need to provide a pedestal unless a special size is needed.
- All three dimensional works are limited to a weight of 60 pounds or less.
Questions? please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Art sold is subject to a 30% commission fee for members and 40% for non members. If not for sale, use NFS on entry form. Sales tax will be added to the price of work sold. Remittance of NJ Sales Tax will be handled by Belmar Arts. All artists with sales commissions of $600 or more per calendar year are required to furnish their SS# or Tax ID# to Belmar Arts. A 1099-MISC for taxable income will be issued by Belmar Arts for sales commissions of $600 or higher. Commissions are paid at the close of the show and buyers will pickup purchased work after the show is completed. Please elect ONE artist per entry to receive the commission if work is sold.
Belmar Arts will make every effort to treat your artwork with care. However, work is submitted at the artist’s risk. Belmar Arts and the Art Show Committee will not be held liable for lost or damaged work. Artists are responsible for insuring their work from delivery to pick-up.
Belmar Arts reserves the right to use digital images of accepted and exhibited artworks for the sole purpose of promotion of this exhibit on social media, website, and advertising.
Late Pick-up Penalty:
All work must be picked up Saturday, March 24 by 5pm. A $1/day fee will be charged per piece left after the time of pickup. If you cannot pick up your work during the advertised time, you must arrange for a friend to pick it up. Work left beyond two weeks after the advertised pick-up date will be considered abandoned. Abandoned work will become the property of the Belmar Arts and will be sold to benefit Belmar Arts.